Today’s Top 10 Tuesday topic at The Broke and the Bookish is Beach Reads… so I couldn’t resist chiming in!
1. Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund – The first in a series of four novels about Ivy League secret society that put Diana Peterfreund on the map. These books are smart, funny, and suspenseful. What are you waiting for?
2. Stiltsville by Susanna Daniel – I loved this novel about a woman’s life in Miami from the 1960s through Hurricane Andrew and beyond. It really evokes the Old Florida atmosphere that my parents grew up in and that I absorbed as a little girl.
3. Along For the Ride by Sarah Dessen – All of Sarah Dessen’s books take place in summer. This one, set in a beach town, is probably the summeriest. (I suspect her new release, The Moon and More, might beat it, but I haven’t read it yet!)
4. Outer Banks by Anne Rivers Siddons – This tale of three Carolina sorority sisters over a period of thirty years is crazy awesome in the sudsiest kind of way. Perfect for the beach!
5. In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner – I recommend this book often – it’s one of my longtime favorites. A very real (and ultimately uplifting) picture of the complicated relationship between two adult sisters, who have nothing in common but their shoe size.
6. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling – Mindy’s totally hilarious and relatable memoir. I still laugh when I think about some parts of this book. There is a story in it about a high dive.
7. Forget About Itby Caprice Crane – Things get very complicated when a mousy young woman pretends to have amnesia in order to escape her life as a doormat. Funny and surprising.
8. Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park – I just finished it, so you’ll hear more about it later, but I loved this “new adult” novel to an illogical degree. I’ll go out on a limb and declare it the Best Recently Released Beach Read.
9. Beautiful Ruinsby Jess Walter – I keep telling people that the title perfectly sums up this book, about a young Italian man and a movie star scandal and a lost love. Everything about the story and the characters are beautifully ruined. On the whole, it’s kind of a masterpiece.
10. Cold Tangerinesby Shauna Niequist – Shauna’s first book of essays, about enjoying the simple things in life, is perfect for a vacation. It’ll leave you feeling even more refreshed.
Now I wish I was at the beach. Well, even more than I already did. Thanks!!
About Brenda W.
Christian. Memphian. Reader. Writer. True blue Tiger fan. Lover of shoes, the ocean, adventure, and McAlister's iced tea.
View all posts by Brenda W. →