The 2014 Survey
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Went to Hawaii; attended the NCAA Tournament; learned how to hula hoop; bought a domain and a design for my blog; raised the subject of being roommates with a friend; had a triple birthday party; ran a 5K (twice!); witnessed a boss get fired; asked a guy out; got fitted for real running shoes; served on a jury; acquired a blog hater; camped at Kentucky Lake; put a beloved pet down; guest posted for a Notable Blogger; volunteered at a public broadcasting station; got a tattoo; agreed to a blind fixup; watched my football team win a conference championship AND a bowl game; was mistaken for the bride at a wedding rehearsal because we look that much alike.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My One Word for 2014 was Alive, and I’m very satisfied with how it turned out! I’ve decided on my 2015 word and will announce it later, but I’ve been thinking about more practical resolutions too. One thing I want to focus on is being consistent across my relationships and different facets of my life. I think I already do okay at this, but I realize more and more how important it is. And I plan to take more steps in my current general goal of Making My Outside Match My Inside.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
More like who didn’t? My sister Debra, my college roommate Kathy, one of my best friends Caroline, two SIPsters, and several other good friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My cat Gandalf, my roommate and companion for 12 years. I still miss him every single day. One of my college friends also died suddenly around the same time. We weren’t really in touch and I hadn’t seen her in years, but back then we were pretty close.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked this year?
A relationship. A home in an area better suited to my life. More time to BE.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
4/23: My BIL Lance’s ordination. 7/4: My best friend Alanna got engaged. 8/1: Came home to find Gandalf mysteriously sick. 9/3: Found out he had cancer. 9/15: The day I said goodbye. 9/17: Left for Hawaii. 10/1: My niece E’s birth. 10/3: My brother’s movie premiere. 10/13: My “nephew” E’s birth. 11/15: Alanna’s wedding. 12/22: The Miami Beach Bowl!!!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably leaving my church and finding a new one. It was a hard and scary decision, but absolutely the right one. I’m also happy about my progress as a writer and blogger this year. I feel a lot more confident and capable, and the best part is, it kind of happened when I wasn’t looking.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Spending too much emotional energy on the wrong people/situations.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than some scrapes, bruises, and allergies, I was really healthy this year. Yay!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My tattoo and my ticket to Hawaii.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends’. Seriously, they are all amazing – as people and in their love and support – and I don’t deserve them. Also, early in the year I got an e-mail from a pastor that was SO affirming and kind, I still cry when I think about it. I only met him briefly, but he spoke God’s love and calling over me and my writing more powerfully than any pastor I’ve actually had a relationship with. God bless that man.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Too dangerous to go there.
14. Where did most of your money go (other than regular bills)?
Experiences – traveling, tickets, and great meals – and I’m fine with that. More please!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Pretty much every good thing that happened.
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
The 2014 Soundtrack
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Too close to call.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner – thank you, running!!!
c) richer or poorer? A little poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleeping and relaxing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Basically living in my car.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my parents and brother here in Memphis. We’ll have “real Christmas” when my sister and her family arrive this week.
21. Did you fall in love in 2014?
22. What concerts did you attend this year?
I made it to a respectable number of Levitt Shell shows: Katie Herzig, Old 97’s, the Moon River Fest organized by Drew and Ellie Holcolmb, and my friend Myla Smith’s Shell debut on Easter Eve! I also saw Ingram Hill and Johnnyswim. I was dying to go to Katy Perry, but the tickets were too expensive. NEXT TIME.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
The Mindy Project.
24. Do you dislike anyone now whom you didn’t dislike this time last year?
No, my early impressions of people usually stick.
25. What was the best book you read?
My Favorite Books of 2014. Though I want to add Thrashing About With God by Mandy Hubbard, which I’m reading right now. FANTASTIC.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
HAIM and Banks
27. What did you want and get?
A great new church. Some great new friends. Lots of wonderful things I never thought to ask for.
28. What did you want and not get?
Career progress. Love. More years with my cat.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I’ll just list all the movies I really enjoyed this year: Begin Again, Edge of Tomorrow, Mockingjay, Interstellar, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Fault in Our Stars, Draft Day, Frozen, Divergent, Veronica Mars
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35. I ran a 5K and had a night out downtown with friends. It was only part of my Birthday Week of Awesome! (I’m tempted to keep going with that model and not save it for milestone birthdays.)
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I pretty much answered this already, but my year was satisfying regardless.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
I’m trying to cut the excess and focus more on well-made clothes I really love. It makes life easier.
33. What kept you sane?
My friends, my counselor, sunshine, endorphins, and vitamins.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jimmy Fallon, as usual.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Michael Brown verdict and everything that followed. At some point I saw a tweet to the effect of, “If you’ve ever wondered where you would have stood during the civil rights movement, you’re about to find out.” I believe this to be true. #BlackLivesMatter.
36. Who did you miss?
My siblings, nieces, and friends far away.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
It was a banner year for meeting great new people! They know who they are. ;)
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Ask for what you want. And, related: BYODK (Be Your Own Damn Knight).
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Gotta make hay when the sun is shining
Can’t waste time when it comes time to dance
Keeping in touch with the windows down
Dreading this night since the rain hit the ground
Long live the heart, long live the soul
That knows what it wants
No matter how far, how heavy this load
It never lets go.
– NEEDTOBREATHE, The Heart
About Brenda W.Christian. Memphian. Reader. Writer. True blue Tiger fan. Lover of shoes, the ocean, adventure, and McAlister's iced tea. View all posts by Brenda W. →
Posted in year end